The program provides AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors with a national platform to tell their stories and inspire the next generation of STEM pioneers. As high-profile role models, AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors will share stories of their STEM journeys and the many ways in which they use science, technology, engineering, and math to solve problems and create new possibilities for the future.
Opportunities during the Ambassadorship will include:
- An in-person summit will empower AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors take their outreach to the next level. The summit will include personal press kit development (photo shoots and videography), as well as coaching and support from specialists in science communication, public engagement, media, diversity and inclusion, and STEM education. Inspirational VIP guests will also participate in the summit.
- Online engagement with each other and with a wider network of experts will build on the in-person summit, strengthening AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors’ skills and supporting development of a community of dynamic women in STEM careers.
- Original media content featuring women STEM professionals that will reach girls where they access content the most: on YouTube through partnerships with popular channels like GoldieBlox; on cable television shows; and on network television through a weekly series highlighting the STEM behind popular culture. In addition, the National Girls Collaborative Project will host a digital asset library that will provide access to photos and videos of AAAS IF/THEN Ambassador for nonprofit and educational use.
- Direct connections with middle school girls in their classrooms, in informal science education settings such as AAAS’s Family Science Days, museum exhibits about women in STEM professions, Girl Scouts of the USA programs, and on virtual platforms that allow AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors to have conversations with girls from across the United States.
Recognition and Activities
Candidates who are selected as AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors will have access to skill-building, media, and engagement opportunities during August 2019 - February 2021. AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors will receive an award of $5,000 and take part in the following activities:
- In-person summit during the week of October 21-25, 2019. Travel and other summit-related costs will be paid by the program.
- Additional online discussions about STEM communication, public engagement, media, diversity and inclusion, and STEM education.
- Events celebrating and sharing the work of AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors. Travel and other participation-related costs will be paid by the program.
- Media, classroom, and public programs targeting middle school girls. Travel support related to these activities may be available.
Applications for AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors will be accepted April 1 – July 21, 2019. AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors will be selected in two cycles:
Selection cycle #1
- Applications received between April 1 and 11:59 pm ET on May 15, 2019
- Announcement of selected Ambassadors: early July 2019
Selection cycle #2
- Applications received between 12:00 am ET on May 16 and 11:59 PM ET on July 21, 2019
- Announcement of selected Ambassadors: early September 2019